Saturday 9 April 2016

Coffee Scented stamps : UAE

A typical day in Southern India starts with the aroma of filter coffee. On many of the highways you will see - "Kumbakonam Degree Coffee available here" - referring to the city of Kumbakonam, where the coffee preparation is unique. They serve the filter coffee in a bronze cup and saucer. Until few years back most of the houses had hand grinding machine to powder the roasted coffee.  

Recently I visited coffee plantations in Coorg, Karnataka.  I learnt about Arabica and Robusta.   I am thankful to Mr. Kenneth Sequeira for sending the Arabica coffee scented Miniature sheet for my Odd and Unusual stamp collection. The top stamp shows coffee beans being roasted, the second stamp shows hand grinder, the third one shows the pot in which arabic coffee is boiled and  the last one shows the cup. If you rub the stamps you can get the nice aroma.  It was issued in the year 2013 by Emirates Post.

An Odd item indeed!  The sheet contains four labels, what seem to be no postage stamps.  They neither show any value, nor the country name.  In the net the official announcement from UAE post is about four stamps of different face values.  But no mentioning of a souvenir sheet, I wonder why? At first I didn't notice that, but my philatelic friend noticed and informed me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...